Development Associate, ExtraFood.org (half-time)
Founded in 2013, ExtraFood’s mission is to help end hunger and wasted food in Marin County, California. Our first step is our county-wide food recovery program: we pick up donations of excess fresh food from Marin businesses and schools and immediately deliver the food to nonprofit recipient partners – such as senior centers, homeless shelters, and after-school programs – serving Marin’s most vulnerable children, adults, and families. In 4 years, our staff and volunteer team have organized, recovered, and delivered 1,700,000 pounds of food – 1,300,000 meals – from 200+ food donors to 100 sites across Marin, reaching more than 6,000 people every month. ExtraFood is the most recent winner of CVNL’s Heart of Marin Achievement in Nonprofit Excellence award.
- an organization dedicated to exemplary service to each other, our partners, and the people we are serving together
- a place where we get lots of things done, every hour and every day, and have a real sense of the difference we are making in our community
- a collaborative, fast-paced, quickly-growing team
For more information: www.extrafood.org
This new position, reporting to the Executive Director, will be central to ExtraFood’s growth and impact in Marin County, working closely with the Executive Director to achieve ExtraFood’s ambitious fundraising and growth goals. S/he will be responsible for the implementation and coordination of critically important fundraising activities, including prospect and grantor research, prospect and funder correspondence, event logistics and stewardship. This is a non-exempt, 20-hour-per-week position based in our Kentfield office. The ideal candidate will be experienced and successful in nonprofit development; highly personable; accustomed to maintaining high work standards; and engaged with our mission.
- Research Major Gift prospects, preparing executive summaries of background/capacity and assisting Executive Director with prioritization
- Oversee logistics for Major Gift prospect events such as dinners and breakfasts
- Assist with email updates, thank-yous and other touchpoints with donors as part of stewardship strategy
- Research grant opportunities for fit with ExtraFood mission and programs
- Maintain due dates for grant applications and grant progress reports, ensuring Executive Director has timely advance notice of deadlines
- Work with Executive Director, Office Administrator and Bookkeeper to ensure all gifts and grants are processed, entered, and acknowledged according to ExtraFood’s policies and procedures. Work with Bookkeeper to reconcile gift database with accounting system.
- Coordinate annual Holiday Appeal, working with Executive Director on appeal letter, working with Operations Coordinator on social media strategy; working with Office Administrator to ensure all needed supplies and to organize target groups in, and ensure accuracy of, donor database; working with graphic designer on gift envelope; and managing temporary staff to execute mailing on time.
- Generate reports to track fundraising activities against organizational goals.
Required skills/experience include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years development experience with demonstrated success
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write in a creative and compelling manner with unrelenting attention to detail
- High level of professionalism
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a staff team
- Ability to use consistent discretion and good judgment in working with confidential donor information
- 2 professional references
The following skills/experience are preferred:
- Experience with CRM databases, Salesforce preferred
- Proficiency with Macintosh and Mac productivity applications
- Competitive and commensurate with experience
- 401K plan, Sick leave
- The feeling of making a difference in our community every day
Please email a cover letter summarizing your interest in the position and your experience, plus your resumé, to:
Marv Zauderer, Executive Director, Marv@ExtraFood.org