Food Recovery Coordinator (part-time)
40% of all food is wasted in the U.S. And, food waste creates an enormous environmental problem: if global food waste were a country, it would rank 3rd in greenhouse gas emissions after the U.S and China. Yet 49,000 people in Marin County, California, worry about where their next meal will come from.
ExtraFood’s mission is to help end hunger and wasted food in Marin. Our first step is our county-wide food recovery program: we pick up excess fresh food from Marin’s businesses and schools and immediately deliver the food to safety net partners – such as senior housing centers, homeless shelters & after-school programs – serving Marin’s most vulnerable children, adults and families.
In 4+ years, ExtraFood’s staff and volunteers have organized, recovered, and delivered 2,000,000 pounds of food from 200+ donors to 113 sites throughout the county. ExtraFood, winner of the 2017 Heart of Marin Achievement in Nonprofit Excellence Award, reaches more than 7,000 people every month with healthy, fresh food.
For more information: http://ExtraFood.org
This position, reporting to the Manager of Food Recovery Operations, is responsible for using ExtraFood’s refrigerated vehicle (no special driver’s license needed) to pick up and deliver recovered food on critically important routes requiring this capacity. You will be an ambassador for ExtraFood, cultivating and sustaining our relationships with key employees at food donor and recipient partner organizations and delivering high-quality, nutritious food for people in need.
1. Based on daily route schedule, complete specified “food trips”: pick up food donations from businesses and deliver to recipient partners, all within Marin County.
- Interact professionally with staff at food donor and recipient organizations. Act as an ambassador for ExtraFood, communicating information about shared successes and addressing any issues that arise.
- Arrive at food donors and recipients within specified time windows
- Follow all food-safety guidelines in handling food (ExtraFood provides food-safety training)
- Weigh donations and report weights to Operations Coordinator
- Escalate any issues or feedback to Manager of Food Recovery Operations as necessary
2. Complete spontaneous food trips as needed.
3. Keep vehicle clean and maintained according to ExtraFood protocol.
4. Complete food safety certification (at ExtraFood’s expense), if not already certified, and keep certification up-to-date.
Required skills/experience include:
- Passionate about our mission
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; professional manner
- Outstanding driving skills
- Excellent driving record as indicated by DMV report
- Able to lift 50 lbs safely
- Highly organized; demonstrated on-time performance with tracking/reporting data
- Valid CA driver’s license (no special license needed)
- Willing to submit to background check
- At least 21 years of age
- Fluent in English
- Available by 8:00 am on a mutually agreed-to day(s) at our office in Kentfield
- 2 professional references
The following skills are preferred:
- 1 year of delivery or professional driving experience
The following skills/experience are a plus:
- Weekend availability
Email cover letter summarizing interest in position and experience, plus resumé, to:
Annie Molyneux, Manager of Food Recovery Operations, Annie@ExtraFood.org