Founded in 2013, ExtraFood.org’s mission is to help end hunger and wasted food in Marin County, California. Our first step is our county-wide food recovery program: we pick up donations of excess fresh food from Marin businesses and organizations – such as grocery stores, restaurants, and schools – and immediately deliver the food to nonprofit recipient organizations – such as senior centers, homeless shelters, and after-school programs – that serve Marin’s most vulnerable children, adults, and families. In 3 ½ years, our staff and volunteer team have organized, picked up, and delivered 1,900,000 pounds of food – 1,500,000 meals – from 200 food donors to 104 sites across Marin, reaching more than 6,750 people every month.
· an organization dedicated to exemplary service to each other, our partners, and the people we are serving together
· a place where we get lots of things done, every hour and every day, and have a real sense of the difference we’re making in our community
· a collaborative, fast-paced, quickly-growing team
This part-time, non-exempt position, reporting to the Operations Manager, is responsible for using ExtraFood’s refrigerated truck (no special driver's license needed) to pick up and deliver recovered food on critically important routes requiring this capacity. You’ll be an ambassador for ExtraFood, cultivating and sustaining our relationships with key employees at food donor and recipient partner organizations, and delivering high-quality, nutritious food for people in need. This is an 18-hour-per-week position -- 6 hours/day Weds-Fri -- that will help ExtraFood increase its capacity to help end hunger and wasted food in Marin. Great not only for a Marinite but for a candidate living in SF or Richmond -- you'll be driving to/from work at times when there is not traffic in your direction.
1. Based on daily route schedule, complete specified “food trips”: pick up food donations from businesses and deliver to recipient partners, all within Marin County.
· Interact professionally with staff at food donor and recipient organizations. Act as an ambassador for ExtraFood, communicating information about shared successes and addressing any issues that arise.
· Arrive at food donors and recipients within specified time windows
· Follow all food-safety guidelines in handling food
· Weigh donations and report weights to Operations Coordinator
· Escalate any issues or feedback to Operations Manager as necessary
2. Complete spontaneous food trips as needed.
3. Keep vehicle clean and maintained according to ExtraFood protocol.
4. Complete food safety certification, if not already certified, and keep certification up-to-date.
Required skills/experience include:
· Excited about our mission
· Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; professional manner
· Outstanding driving skills
· Excellent driving record as indicated by DMV report
· Able to lift 50 lbs safely
· Highly organized; demonstrated on-time performance with tracking/reporting data
· Valid CA driver’s license
· Willing to submit to background check
· At least 21 years of age
· Fluent in English
· Available by 8:30 am Wednesday-Friday at our office in Kentfield
· 2 professional references
The following skills/experience are a plus:
· 1 year of delivery or professional driving experience
· Competititve and commensurate with experience
· 401(k) Plan
· Sick Leave
· The feeling of making a difference in our community every day!
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter summarizing your interest and key qualifications, along with a resumé, to Executive Director Marv Zauderer at Marv@ExtraFood.org. Thank you!